About 15% of the 40 million Americans that move every year fall victim to moving scams. That’s a lot of people! That means there are many scams out there that aim to make some extra money without having to work for it! They make every effort to take advantage of your ignorance. You need to be extra vigilant, so you don’t end up settling for a company that is going to take advantage of you!
Tips to Avoid Moving Scams
1. Low ball moving quotes. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Low ball quotes are meant to lure you in. These companies know that everyone is looking to save money and they want you to take their offer without getting a second one. You are a target with this tactic. Remember, quality service may cost you a little more, but it will be worth it.
2. No written moving contract. A contract is a binding document and is there to protect you in case anything goes awry. The company has control of everything if there’s no written contract. You can lose a lot of money without one and end up with damaged items.
3. Large deposits. A large deposit upfront gives the company more control. They can do what they want, provide poor service and you won’t be able to get your money back. You can maintain some control by using a credit card.
4. Moving company is under insured. Companies that under insure your belongings are ones to avoid. This is terrible in the event there is damage to your possessions. Make sure you check all the insurance information before signing a contract.
5. Mishandling your home goods. Avoid companies that don’t appear to be taking optimal care of your possessions. To avoid this, choose a company with a good reputation.
6. Frequent moving company name changes. If you discover a company has had frequent name changes, avoid it. You’ll want to go with a company whose had the same name for years are embedded in their assets. These includes their crates, trucks and their employees’ uniforms.
7. Background checks. If you don’t make sure the employees of a company have had background checks, you may have drug addicts and criminals handling your belongings. If a company cannot provide you with background checks, walk away.
8. Not delivering belongings. This can happen when you don’t investigate enough. Make sure you know about all the charges before you sign anything. The last thing you need is to be told you haven’t paid for something and that you can’t have your belongings until you do.
9. Commitment. If you come across a company that won’t come to your home prior to the move. It’s an indication that they aren’t very serious about transporting your possessions.
Long Distance Moving Services in Henderson, North LV, Summerlin, Paradise, Spring Valley, Sunrise Manor, Enterprise, Boulder City, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
Be proactive when dealing with moving companies. The more information you have, the better. Don’t settle for just any company, or the first one you come across. You want honesty and efficiency, without getting taken for a ride. When you’re ready to plan your next long distance move, contact Sky Van Lines Moving!