Long distance moving is no picnic. Add kids to the mix and it can be nearly unbearable. Between packing, selling or giving away, to making the living arrangements, and meeting all of life’s responsibilities, the long distance is quite a project. Sky Van Lines Moving wishes to help minimize the stress, ease some burdens and hopefully make your long distance move from or to Las Vegas, NV a lot easier on you. We at Sky Van Lines have compiled some tips to make your move more pleasant for and the little ones.
1. Involve children in the new house search. If possible, take the little kids with you to narrow your search down as you go house hunting. Show them the backyard, which bedroom could potentially be theirs, and so on. If they cannot go with you in person, show them pictures online and excite them into the new adventure. Generally children are nervous around change, especially the school age kids. Getting them geared towards the positive can help make the transition. While you are showing them the home via online or in person, you can try and show them the local school, parks and libraries, along with extra circular activities that can make them feel more at ease.
2. Encourage children in sorting activities. As many folks know, it is a great benefit to sift through the contents of every room and discard, donate, or even sell off some unwanted items. Let the kids be more involved with their own stuff. Tell them to go through toys and clothes. Clothes that don’t fit and are in good condition should be saved for a yard sale or donated. Toys can be sold or donated as well if a child has outgrown the age appropriate.
3. Let children help with packing. Younger kids can contribute to lighter stuff; older kids can help with heavier things. Find tasks suited for their age and allow them to help them pack up the house. If you decide to have a yard sale, let them help out with that as well so they are more involved with the process and don’t feel like they are neglected during this busy time. It will also help minimize the melt downs they throw for attention.
4. Things to do on moving day. The little toddler age kids might be better off with a sitter, but the kids old enough to take direction can assist with thee moving day chores. Carrying light boxes, labeling, cleaning, or putting them in charge of the family pet can help them and you get through the day. Try to throw in some fun activities to keep their interest.
5. Moving crafts. Help the kids fashion their own personal address book for their close friends. Include a spot for friend’s name, phone number, email, and home address and maybe even a wallet size photo so they can keep in touch. A scrap book of their old house and such can be a good idea as well.
6. Get the energy out before the long trip. During all the busyness of moving, consider taking some time into making a fun day or evening where the family spends time together having fun and releasing the anxiety and built up energy.
7. Road trip moving tips. If the kids are driving to the new destination, make sure to make the car ride enjoyable. Pack their favorite snacks and drinks, a few hand held games, and a pillow for when they need to rest. Ensure they wear comfortable clothes and shoes to make the long trip a little more relaxing.
8. Make unpacking fun. To add to the element of fun in unpacking sneak a t-shirt in their clothing box, or a new little toy in another of their personal boxes to prevent the unpacking process from getting boring.
Long Distance Moving in Las Vegas, Summerlin, Henderson, North LV & Boulder City, Nevada
We hope this helps make your long distance move a little more smooth and the little ones more at ease. Sky Van Lines has the experience and skills to pack, load, drive, and unload your home quickly and efficiently. Call us today to schedule your long distance moving package!